CERTIFIED ICE CARVER (CIC)
Note: This course of private instruction has
primarily been developed for culinary students
and those who are considering employment
in the commercial ice carving industry.
This course also serves as one of the prerequisites
for determining acceptance into AICD's Master Program.
AICD is world
renown...by those who value the best.
Providing far more instruction than what mere demonstrations of complex carvings can provide, Paul Germain's totally immersive, one-to-one, hands-on training techniques and real life applications make even the most detailed features of AICD's fascinating instructional programs come to life. Paul's break through methods of training prove to be nothing short of contagious for highly motivated chefs, culinary students, instructors, and professional ice carvers who want it all - their testimonials then say it all!
This program provides comprehensive one-to-one, private instruction for culinary students and those considering employment in the commercial ice carving industry to equip them with a broad range of skills needed to safely create custom designed ice sculptures and engraved logos suitable for buffet presentations.
This intensive program of private instruction is available year-round.
Reservations are available up to one year in advance with paid tuition.
Paul German will be happy to adapt your training schedule to
your particular travel needs
- such as flight arrival/departure times.
Previous art and design experience is beneficial, but not required,
as private instruction is tailored to your needs and experience.
"I could never imagine ice carving as such an amazing and fascinating work. Paul Germain has that magic skill to get the best a simple block of ice can offer and the power to make people to get acquainted in that magic. I will do my best to put what I learned as a continuation of his work here in Brazil! "
Paulo Flores, CPIC, CMIC1, Brasilia, Brazil
Our proven "total immersion" approach to individualized instruction is ideal for professional chefs and ice carvers from the United States and around the world who value the optimal use of their time, energy, and level of experience.
Total Continuing Education Hours (CEH) for this program: 30 hours
AICD also offers an optional training opportunity for students traveling a long distance. Due to the time and cost of traveling long distances to attend AICD, chefs have requested that we combine an extra day with the Ice Carver Program while they are here. This has proven to be very beneficial for chefs, both in developing additional skills and in saving money. Plus, the extra ten hours of instruction will be added to your CEH’s on your CPIC certificate.
"I am teaching at the Culinary Arts Institute at Utah Valley Universtiy. This ice carving course has been a fantastic experience, learning new insights into what can be done with a block of ice. Paul has provided me with so many different options on carving techniques, my head is still spinning trying to absorb every detail. I truly can recommend this course to anybody that is interested in learning from the best."
Franz Kubak, CEC, CCIC, Utah Valley University Culinary Arts Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah
Here is an overview of many of the topics and skills
that will be addressed in the Certified Ice Carver Program:
Note: AICD's state-of-the-art instructional methods are renown for providing the
ultimate "hands-on" experience for achieving mastery of each objective!
- Developing drawing skills
- Developing artistic awareness and the ability to visualize 3 dimensional images
- Developing patience to ensure excellence, even when rushed
- Developing the ability to sculpt in 3 dimensions
- Designing ice sculptures for banquets and promotions
- Casting fruit, vegetables, seafood, etc. into a Clinebell Ice Block
- Appropriate use of ice carving books and online resources for design ideas
- Sharpening, custom bits, and modern ice carving tool innovations
- Tricking out tools for added comfort and speed
- Safety skills related to lowering, lifting, splitting, carving, delivery, and set-up
- Enlarging techniques for any circumstance
- Beginning to advanced design principles
- Timing and scheduling considerations when working with
advanced engraving, ice painting, gel, and stone inlay techniques
- Designing and safely moving complex multi-block ice sculptures
- Secrets of learning how to draw with confidence regardless of previous experience
- Precision carving skills, techniques, and tools
- Secrets of fast and easy templates - both custom and from ice carving books
- Secrets of stacking and fusing for unique effects and dire circumstances
- Maximizing the block for creativity
- Safe and creative use of the Clinebell Ice Block maker, hoist, and related equipment
- Secrets of special effect coloring
- Secrets of inlays
- Secrets of closed-celled, snow-filled, and multiple level corporate logos
- Trouble-free ice beverage luges
- Safely taking your ice sculptures to the limit of lightness
- Pushing the limit of dynamic balance and tension without compromising safety
- Adapting the medium of ice for advanced ice sculpture presentations
- Creating the illusion of depth to reduce weight
- Considerations for adjusting your final design for time, temperature, and atmosphere
- Custom display equipment and safe setup techniques
- Ice sculpture instruction includes photography techniques
- Secrets of the critical art of safely transporting ice carvings
- Carving studio design and considerations
- How to get paid what you're worth
...the list of topics and techniques goes on!
Be sure to read what chefs and career ice carvers have shared about their experience at AICD.
AICD's Lifetime Certification Guarantee:
Due to AICD's proven "hands on" approach to comprehensive instruction and its stature as a private school, you can earn each level of AICD Certification for life with no certification fees, no yearly fees, and no membership requirements.
To maintain the integrity of AICD's educational programs, activities such as attendance at conventions, competitions, and related activities cannot be counted for receiving AICD Certification. A carver's unique experiences may, however, qualify as the prerequisite for enrolling in AICD's advanced instructional programs.
Based upon the student's previous art training (whether beginning or advanced), offsite coursework is individually developed to meet the particular needs of each student in order to make his or her preparation for the next day's instructional activities as beneficial and enjoyable as possible. Textbooks, drawing aids, clay, modeling tools, and other materials are furnished upon arrival at AICD for this offsite coursework.
Our Certified Ice Carver (CIC) Program is designed to teach a broad range of safe ice carving skills, art skills, and technologies needed by culinary students in order to meet the modern ice carving needs of the hospitality industry. Ice carving instruction includes hands-on experience with many of the most advanced and celebrated techniques used by professional ice sculptors around the world today.
This remarkable program provides one-to-one personalized instruction that is tailored for each student's experience and future objectives. Private instruction ensures that student carvers of any level receive far more actual training and individual guidance than is possible within group ice carving classes. It also provides a much safer and more productive learning environment for developing the advanced art skills needed for highly realistic and creative multi-block construction.
Comprehensive ice carving instruction is condensed into a three-day program.
This incredible value is ideal for meeting the needs of commercial ice carving businesses, hotels, country clubs, caterers, and restaurants.
Our private, one-on-one instruction is available for highly motivated ice carvers who want to advance at a rate that is optimum for their learning style, skill, and level of experience. Private instruction can be adapted to suit the individual carver's schedule.
AICD's training/certification programs are a valuable way to
for NICA's and ACF's certification programs, which are independent of AICD.
The art of ice carving involves the use of tools and equipment that are inherently dangerous. To meet the safety-related needs of professional ice sculpture companies, ice carving schools, hotels, country clubs, and caterers, a high priority is given to the development of safe carving, delivery, and set-up practices. This program requires that the carver be in excellent health, and must be physically able to work with heavy materials and equipment for prolonged periods of time in both warm and cold environments.
The ice carving industry is growing at a phenomenal rate in the U.S and around the world. AICD is dedicated to providing the most comprehensive ice sculpture training possible for ice sculpture companies, hotels, caterers, country clubs, and culinary schools seeking to employ highly qualified, professionally certificated chefs, ice carvers, and sales associates.
AICD is fully CCR approved and registered to provide
branches of the Federal Government, including the Department of Defense